Monday, December 31, 2012

Very Good, Grasshopper


There was clearly a moment between my daughter and me when the student became the teacher. A few weeks ago, while helping arrange her university schedule for next term, I was reading the course descriptions over the phone when I stopped at the word diaspora. I freely admitted that I wasn’t sure what that word meant when, without hesitation, she rambled off an articulate definition. I was humbled and impressed at the same time, grateful that we may be getting our money’s worth at university and happy to offer up an opportunity for her to display her knowledge—which was totally what I was trying to do. Just in case you’re in the same boat as I was, Wikipedia defines diaspora as the movement, migration or scattering of people away from an established or ancestral home. So, now we all know.

Reminders that our family dynamic is evolving are all around me. Regularly for the last year, my son had me stand back to back with him to measure how tall he was getting. And now it’s official, I’m the shortest one in the house. Good news is: there’s something symbolic about reaching this point in my life when my kids are taller than I am which signifies how far we’ve come; bad news is: time is flying by.

At family parties over the last week, with many little ones to enjoy, I reminisced about days gone by. With kids around, people love to point out family resemblances, and when they exhibit behaviours or expressions similar to their parents’, it’s easy to assume that kids are simply miniature versions of ourselves; that they will grow up with the same likes and dislikes and have the same ambitions, and it’ll be great because you can save them from any mistakes you made or chances you missed. But it doesn’t work like that. We can shape our children and influence their environment but it's a powerful moment when we let go of misconceptions about who our children should be or could be, and realize that what our kids turn out like may not be what we first envisioned but is, in fact, better.

No comments:

Post a Comment